English Riding Friendship

• View author's info Author Posted on Mar 20, 2005 at 11:43 AM

Just thought I'd ask and see how many people are into the english disciplins?
    Yep, despite some peoples opinions about it, I'm a chap who rides english currently working on my jumping with a view to progressing onto eventing - now there's a true test of skill, riding ability and courage!
    Follow - email me when people comment
  • 27Comments

• View author's info Posted on Mar 16, 2007 at 06:51 AM

About so called SISSY english riding, one of our good friends is a top of the line aussie hack rider, champ gent rider at all our royal shows and BOY can he really ride. He rode our TB gelding we were given free because no-one cuold ride him. He bucked all the jockeys and some of the trainers off but Garry rode him in trackie pants and while the horse was bucking as high as the top rail on our round yard [about six ft ] he just rode him out of it. that horse has gone on to win everywhere and does not buck now. He is pony clubbed by a 14yr old who has only been riding for 12 mths. I would trust him to ride anything and ride it well.
  • View author's info Posted on Mar 06, 2007 at 08:14 PM

arhhhhh .. me to im an english rider... in macho land...MEXICO.

for those who wish to learn the finer way to ride to a ladies hart... come a try our singles riding holiday.... just give us wink and abit of info... and we hook you up.. with noooo strings.. just good horses..

oh and for those machos out there., we have afew western saddles.... perfect if you nead somethin gto hold on to infront..

love thoughts

Cupid!!!

Members Only

• View author's info Posted on Feb 07, 2007 at 11:57 AM

I actually started this thread, as someone made a snide comment about me on another thread on the fact that I rode english and how 'sissy' it was (he was a western rider). So I made this thread to prove a point and get other people opinions on english riding.

So I do agree with your comments that you're going no where if your horse decided he's not doing it!
  • View author's info Posted on Feb 06, 2007 at 12:15 AM

Hey Toffee, I have been riding litterally since before I could walk propperly. I currently am training my horse for three day eventing, and let me tell you, you can be the bravest person in the world, but if your horse doesn't like the look of the fence, don't count on both of you making it over it! Actually, I have the best horse in the world who's probably saved my neck a time or two by his bravery. It's a tough sport and expect broken bones eventually. This is a sport of not if but when. It's the ultimate adrenaline rush making it through the cross country course.
  • View author's info Posted on Feb 02, 2007 at 09:43 PM

I haven't been a PREMIUM MEMBER on here for the longest time, although I've been threatening time. The last months have been more than chaotic and I just moved back down to Memphis from Minnieapolis this past week and currently living out of a hotel and still getting called on trips for work. But once I move into a new place I'll then look to get in touch with the both of you two (and anyone else) then.
  • View author's info Posted on Feb 01, 2007 at 06:55 AM

I've been riding English since October 2000, did Hunter/Jumper a little over a year, then got to go to Rolex in 2002 and got hooked on Eventing! I then became an Eventing groom/rider, and have been able to work for a few Olympians, and a Grand Prix Dressage rider, here in the states and in Europe. Horses open up all kinds of possibilities!! I'm not a PREMIUM MEMBER, but I would like to talk with you! Drop me a note....

Members Only

• View author's info Posted on Jan 31, 2007 at 02:27 PM

Hey Toffee,

I've been riding Engish since I was 5. I'm currently working on my Dressage and hope to start eventing this summer.

Sorry, we kept missing each other (wink wise)I'm not currently a PREMIUM MEMBER. And this picture of me sucks! Its the one from my business card.
  • View author's info Posted on Jan 20, 2007 at 10:01 AM

I ride english. I love to showjump and do hunters. I have never tried eventing/crosscountry but really want to. Where i live right now not the best for that. I have done dressage a lot but not completly my thing.
  • View author's info Posted on Nov 08, 2006 at 09:10 PM

I ride English. I like dressage and jumping. I'd like to chat with you 26122. Got your wink.
  • View author's info Posted on Nov 01, 2006 at 05:12 PM

Hi there 26122, English riding, not sure how that terminology started. We know about western riding, came from the wild west. I'm much more into the classical disciplines myself. Tried the jumping, eventing thing and found I really wasn't courageous enough. You need to be a very confident rider in order to given your horse the confidence to jump over something that he/she can't see the other side of. I admire those that do it. I am fortunate to have among my close circle of friends a triple gold olympian, Matthew Ryan, I strapped for him before he won gold, learned a bit about jumping & eventing, but still have too much self preservation to do it. I don't bounce anymore, things actually break. Keep in touch, if you're a PREMIUM MEMBER, email me so I can reply.
    Maximus
  • View author's info Posted on Oct 29, 2006 at 05:57 AM

hi there, english rider from germany would like to chat or mail with gal from everywhere. Riding Dressage and showjumping too. On the pic I was a little bit younger-:))

Members Only

• View author's info Posted on Oct 13, 2006 at 10:36 PM

Yeah, same here. english riding is all i do. The main things that i do is dressage and show jumping! I LOVE IT!!

Members Only

• View author's info Posted on Aug 21, 2006 at 09:13 PM

looks like im the opposite to a lot of you all. Im from the UK and ride english, however, when i was in canada i rode western and wow ! im in the middle of retraining my ex racer at the moment, but cant wait to ride western with her when shes up to scratch !
  • View author's info Posted on Aug 21, 2006 at 05:06 AM

Completely forgot about this thread - me bad! Well thought I'd dig it back up again, it'd be interesting to hear back from more of you.

Members Only

• View author's info Posted on Feb 27, 2006 at 11:17 PM

I used to ride English and compete. I did HUS, Equitation, some jumping. When my show horse retired I bought a barrel horse and now run barrels and rodeo when I have time.
  • View author's info Posted on Feb 20, 2006 at 10:47 PM

Hey guys! I'm new to this site so here's the skinny:
    I had my first event in August last year and loved it so much I've been training and competing ever since. Our next event in April we move up to Novice and I'm so excited :). I would love to talk to anyone interested in jumping and eventing...
  • View author's info Posted on Jul 29, 2005 at 07:13 AM

(Madness, very lovely horse you have in your pic!)

English rider here, too. Though I seem to have moved up to playing with draft horses and now jousting, which my dressage backgroud has been a huge help in, as you use leg aids primarily.

If any of you gals would like a legal way to whack a man with a big stick, try jousting!! :-)

Heidi

Members Only

• View author's info Posted on Jul 28, 2005 at 08:03 PM

I also ride only English with foxhunting as my passion. Not to big into jumping but those jumps do come up when you gallop after the hounds and i can do it but my main passion is been out in the big outdoors and have nature that close to me
  • View author's info Posted on Jul 28, 2005 at 09:05 AM

If you think riding English in Florida is bad, try Idaho! I am currently not doing much other than trail riding, but I have male friends who ride English and it takes a real man to do that in cowboy country! :)
Follow - email me when people comment