Animals that prey on Livestock Message board

• View author's info Author Posted on Mar 19, 2006 at 08:55 PM

What do you think about the different states turning coyotes, big cats and whatever else they let loose near our livestock. Just brought a new filly AQHA, halter and reining prospect from Texas to SE Georgia only to be torn up by male Bobcat. We do not live near woods, have good secure barns and fence and we still can't get all of them. Thank God my my Boss mare Mare killed it. This happened 6 weeks ago and the filly is coming along. She will have a scars, but the mane should cover it. 300 stiches, went back and bought her dam and sister. But not before I bought the meanest cattle dogs from Australia. They will eat a stranger for breakfast, but stay with all livestock. For those who don't know of this practice by our states, we all need to educate each other on this problem and what to do. This was not the first time Big cats have attacked our livestock.
  • 10Comments

• View author's info Posted on Jan 28, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Its a pity about the big cats and I thinks its foolish to release them so close to livestock without educating people on how to keep the out and away from livestock. Its my opinion pipe dream or not that going through the trouble to relocate a critter is expensive for taxpayers and it seems a shame they don't at least let the surrounding ranch owners or livestock owners have a successful way of preventing nasty attacks the species is almost extinct for as it is. I had a competion barrel mare attacked by a lion our strings lead gelding killed it (hes not aware hes not a stud anymore). Donkeys and even mules are successful.
  • View author's info Posted on Jan 21, 2010 at 09:28 PM

have also heard of lamas they killed a mountin lion less then 20 miles from my horses during deer season her in iowa
  • View author's info Posted on Oct 17, 2007 at 08:51 AM

I too don't undertstand releasing dangerous animals into the wild here in Upstate NY. It is supposedly to lower the deer population, but what happens when they are not available and our cattle/horses are? I personally saw a pair of cougars in the hayfield across the street from me. They haven't bothered my horses so far. But I got bucked off my horse when riding in the area. He smelled something on the ground and went balistic! Probably big cat scent! The conservation Dept. denied turning them loose so they could avoid lawsuits. At first people thought I was crazy stating I saw some big cats, but then it was admitted others saw them too and a gun dealer I knew said they were seen,but the conservation dept. was denying doing it. It is a terrible thing. to solve one problem with another being created!
  • View author's info Posted on Jul 27, 2006 at 07:16 AM

Re animals attacked - get a couple of donkeys and keep them with your horses . . . they will keep away big cats, coyotes and wolves and have heard stories of them killing them also. Lots of folk here in Texas have them with their livestock out in pastures. Good luck!
  • View author's info Posted on Jul 24, 2006 at 04:19 AM

I didn't think of this earlier but I know of one method that does very well with keeping bears away from bee hives. I don't know if it would work for coyotes but I suspect it may. It requires an electric fencer and some bacon. Run a low wire around your horses paddock (it has to be low enough for the coyotes to reach it without leaving the ground) then drape bacon across the wire. Bears will come to the smell of the bacon and attempt to eat it, instead they get quite a shocking surprise. I don't see why coyotes wouldn't do the same, unless their just looking for the chase. It took my grandfather two times to educate a bear that he should go someplace else for an easier meal.
  • View author's info Posted on Jul 22, 2006 at 03:16 PM

I am so sorry to hear that. I am in SE Ohio in the old coal strip mines. About 10 yrs ago coyotes were dumped here. Everyone in the country side seems to think that our location is also a great place to dump their unwanted dogs. This has become a huge problem with mixing. We now have a wild animal who has domesticated instincts. They will walk right into your yard.. No fear.. Coy dogs is what we call them.. Major preditor. A young colt is a prime target and it is definately open season on them. Wish I had some suggestions but I think the mean cattle dogs was a good idea. We all have dogs that will at least alert us.. Gets to sounding like a howlin contest at nights.. Good luck..
  • View author's info Posted on Jul 22, 2006 at 05:48 AM

I'm sorry to hear about the attacks. I was going to suggest the donkey. People around me have them to protect sheep. They seem to be one of the best deterrents I know of. Other advice I would say would be to bring your animals in an hour before night fall. (not always practical) and continue to keep them close to home. I've spent my entire life studying wildlife and predators. Killing them seems like it would be the best solution but numerous studies show that it isn't all that effective. Their very intelligent which makes them difficult to hunt and If there is a ready food source available they breed faster than you can kill them. This is especially true of coyotes. Out west they even bring in helicopters to help knock the populations down, but they always come right back. One benefit though is if you harass them enough they may move on. If its legal in your state find someone that runs them with dogs. Its one of the most effective ways to hunt them and will hopefully push them off your property. Good luck.
  • View author's info Posted on Jul 22, 2006 at 03:09 AM

Sounds like a bigger cat than a Bobcat.
    I haven't had a problem with predators except for dogs that the neighbors used to let run loose killing my own domestic
    kitties, and occasionally a coyote grabbing or trying to grab one of my free range chickens. My horses had a rather aggressive approach to other animals entering their pasture.
  • View author's info Posted on Jul 21, 2006 at 05:33 PM

I have a big problem with coyots in NE Alabam... just recently at about 8:30 AM one took off with my toy Aussie, I have declaired open season on all of them that come on my farm.
  • View author's info Posted on Mar 21, 2006 at 03:15 PM

Sorry about your horses being attacked by the surrounding big cats etc. I have never had that problem and the ranch is out in the middle of 500 acres. I keep the pregnant mares, babies and stallions all in one area with the entire herd. All of my horses have killed even domestic animals that come too close to the babies. I have even found dead dogs out in the pasture that where not mine. I notice that the bigger the herd with the babies the more likely the survival rate. Some people invest in a good mule or donkey. They tend to be quite aggressive if your horses aren't. I even used them to protect the sheep I use to have. Maybe that will help and good luck.