Horse Rescue? Message board Forward to friends

• View author's info Author Posted on May 18, 2005 at 06:47 PM

Does anyone own a horse rescue? I would love to hear about how you got started. I'd love to start one and any help or advice i can get the better!
    Follow - email me when people comment
  • 13Comments

• View author's info Posted on Jan 28, 2010 at 10:19 AM

I know I can't give much help or advice but here's a shout out to all horse rescuers you guys are awesome and I know donations are whats seen as spport for ur dedication and that this post won't help any but I'd just like to say THANK YOU! all for everything you've done. I plan on helping our nation's mustangs in the future. And Clinton Anderson you are just great!(habitat for horses)
    Good luck everyone.
  • View author's info Posted on May 07, 2009 at 04:40 PM

Hi all....i have a place here in east Tennessee LHC Performance horses and run a off the track tbred rescue. I run it out of my barn and out of my own pocket.
    I take problem horse's and lame horse's that other wise would be sent to the sale or worse.
    I rehab them and try to correct the problem whatever it is.... vet care or behavior issue's and then place them in a suitable home dependant on the rider's exp,and on the horse.
    We have cutting horse's here mainly but will alway's take in a new horse off the track.
    Also do layup's and rehab as well....will be relocating to the Denton area this year and will looking for a larger facility.

I would highly recomend New Vocations they have tbreds and stndbreds for adoption and do a wonderfull job.
    If i can assist you in way please feel free to contact me.
  • View author's info Posted on May 27, 2006 at 07:28 PM

You might want to contact Melanie Sue Bowles at Proud Spirit Farm. She is totally dedicated and has written a heart-rending book called Horses of Proud Spirit. It's worth reading but be aware you will be in for for Vet Bills.

Members Only

• View author's info Posted on Apr 28, 2006 at 06:20 PM

good luck and god bless. horses are one of the best friends people will every have. i will never understand.
  • View author's info Posted on Dec 05, 2005 at 07:30 PM

I own a horse rescue in Ontario and I certify other horse rescues.
    All of my horses have been rescued in some way.
  • View author's info Posted on Nov 15, 2005 at 06:59 PM

I helped in a horse rescue in southwest mn this past summer and it was worth all the tears and hard work. the pony that was rescued is doing well but the mare was to far gone to save and we lost her a week and half later.. Good luck!!

Members Only

• View author's info Posted on Aug 24, 2005 at 07:03 PM

Agree. Kim Meeder and Hope Rising is awesome! Check it out.
  • View author's info Posted on Aug 02, 2005 at 12:25 AM

There is a web page Kim Meeder wrote a book on Hope Rising. Amazing stories. They have some great info. Check it out.
    God Bless
  • View author's info Posted on Jul 29, 2005 at 11:11 AM

Cinnamon, if you go to PetFinder you will find lists of horse rescues and can contact them, There are many email groups as well dedicated to these organizations. Rescue people are always looking to help each other out. The more help there is, the more animals are saved. I am the director of a dog rescue and I know MY vet bills are hi. A friend involved in horse rescue tells me their operating costs are always overwhelming. If you do it right, this is what you can expect as so many animal intakes are going to need vet treatment. There are good and bad rescues out there, so ask a number of them for information, read their contracts, adoption requiremnts, policies, etc. There are lots of issues to face in starting a rescue of any kind, but equine rescue is a BIG step & very involved, to do it correctly. Volunteer with one to start with if you can & you should get an idea of the responsibilities you would be faced with. Its a great feeling in the end, though when you see the lives you have saved living happy & productively.

Good Luck!!
  • View author's info Posted on Jul 21, 2005 at 06:02 AM

I am not sure I am doing this right. I have played around with a few forums but this is a strange script to be playing with. I guess I need to just jump in and see what happens. ...As for Rescues....Yeppers! I own and run one of the largest in the state of Michigan. I say own for I started it a few years back but I guess bottom line is the land belongs to my grandparents so perhaps they own it and I just run it, hehehe, The nice part is that last year we rescued and placed 174 horses into better homes, only lost 3 and hung on to another 7 that can not be places. Sorry about the late response, it took me a while to find my way back after signing up. I must be a busy girl.
  • View author's info Posted on Jun 30, 2005 at 01:10 PM

Well it"s the end of June , did you get the help you wanted?
    I bought an exceptional TB mare, by Blumin Affair out of a stakes producing momma, she was in training as a late 2yrold in FL. not sure the real story, but was donated to NYHR. she has produced two wonderful foals so far.. Can't find a better disposition TB , and I have raised em!!!she is real tall too 16.3.... NYHR has a wonderful web-site.
    I am always looking for tall TB mares, sound enough to carry a foal, must be tall and pretty.... GOOD Luck
  • View author's info Posted on Jun 27, 2005 at 06:00 PM

I adopted a rescue horse in MN about 18 months ago. He had been abused, a stallion and never been ridden. He is a registered Paint. We have been training, getting him in shape and bonding. He has turned out to be a wonderful horse.
  • View author's info Posted on May 19, 2005 at 08:49 AM

Hey Cinnimon,
    I have a friend who runs a horse rescue. I see if its ok to give you her number then you can corrispond with her about how to do it.
    Jim
Follow - email me when people comment