Retraining a horse to do western Message board Forward to friends

• View author's info Author Posted on Apr 11, 2007 at 12:46 PM

Hi all,

I have the chance to have a horse on full loan where the owners are fine with me retraining him to do western. The fun part is that he is a 16 y/o former driving horse. Am I setting my goals to high or will it be possible to retrain this boy who has a great temperament?

Plus have you got any tips? I do have a access to a person who has trained his own two horses to western but would welcome any further advice.

Many Thanks

Lee
    Follow - email me when people comment
  • 3Comments

• View author's info Posted on Dec 22, 2007 at 02:08 PM

I rescued thoroughbreds from the track for years and always retrained them for Western classes. Did pretty well, too- won all the Amatuer/Owner classes at the Del Mar National Horse Show.

I started them off by trail riding and putting natural miles on them. It gets them out of whatever head set they have, and brightens them up. If you cannot train yourself, i agree that a good month of training would be of benefit. FIND A TRAINER THAT ACTUALLY PUTS 30 DAYS ON! Many ride only 3 or less days a week. Not worth your money.
  • View author's info Posted on Apr 20, 2007 at 12:11 PM

Thanks Cowgirl,

I have seriously thought of letting the person I know have this horse for a while. Will just have to start saving for it!!

Anyone done the same thing and could let me know how much it cost?

Cheers

Lee
  • View author's info Posted on Apr 18, 2007 at 06:52 PM

First of all...I love your name. I named my son Lee. I am the only Western rider in an all English barn. I always suggest a trainer who has many years experience as you want to get it right the first time. Even one month is worth it. I don't think it is too late if the horse has a good temperment and is willing that is a great start. Good luck!
Follow - email me when people comment