draft horses Message board

• View author's info Author Posted on Jan 09, 2006 at 08:15 AM

Hi, Is there any draft horse lovers out there? I own 25 belgian drafts and would like to share with other draft owners.

Members Only

• 16Comments

• View author's info Posted on Aug 06, 2009 at 10:39 PM

Quoting author:

I have 7 Percherons, 3 Clydesdales, 1 Shire, 2 Belgians, a Haflinger/Paso Fino cross, 10 other "light" horses and a spotted mule...
    I have owned a carriage/hay wagon business for 6.5 years and are just getting ready to put a team together.
    I have shown them and trail drive and ride, I am smitten, they are my passion...oh, did I say they were all rescues? WEll, they are!

the Paso/Haflinger cross photo is here, sorry it took me a year to answer your question! I forgot about this site! Sad to think no one thinks your are interesting!!!
  • View author's info Posted on May 24, 2009 at 11:23 AM

Belgiandraft - has any of your horses had "shivers"? What diet do you have them on if they do? My mare was diagnosed this spring and I have had to put her on a low carb diet which has helped tremendously! Just curious.
  • View author's info Posted on May 23, 2009 at 12:15 PM

Belgian lover here.. grew up on them and now finally have one again. I have owned TB's in the past but now in life I will only have this breed. If anyone knows what it's like to own them you won't want another bred! They are truly gentle giants that are beautiful to ride and are very loyal companions.
  • View author's info Posted on Sep 19, 2008 at 10:14 PM

Stunning! I love Belgians and Haflingers, I've worked with 3 of each and a Belgian/QH cross that you wouldn't believe...that one even shares my birthday. Maybe I'll get him away from his current owner someday, poor guy terrifies almost everyone around him!
  • View author's info Posted on Jun 06, 2008 at 10:29 PM

Gday all from Australia.

I own a Clydesdale Stallion and have been working with Draft horses most of my life.

I have even driven a 8 horse team in the Sydney Show and done many many weddings and coach rides.

I also own Pure Arabians and compete in Horse Endurance Riding.

Love to catch up with others here in NSW to.
  • View author's info Posted on Apr 09, 2008 at 04:35 PM

As you can see from my pic, I own a Belgian, too

He's a rescue - previous owner won him in his divorce and beat him to get even with his ex wife. I got him when they were going to put him down.

I spent the first month holding him more than anything else. We'd do ground work, but he was so spooky that ANYTHING could set him off and, when he reared up or took off, nothing could stop him.

Went from just letting him know me to ground work, to light riding (as little as 15 minutes), to more riding and more riding.

It's been 4 months now, and he's even safe for kids. I trail ride him all the time. He'll still spook up once in a while, but he's quickly under control

Love this horse tho - wouldn't trade him for anything

Members Only

• View author's info Posted on Feb 15, 2008 at 02:41 AM

I don,t have any now but my husband and I had a chestnut belgian, 2 clydie crosses and a percheron which we used in a variety of ways ,as wedding carriage horses, driving and some pulling comps,we rode them and did some shows but unfortunately after My husbands death I couldn't keep all the horses and sold the drafties so I could keep a riding horse for myself and my kids pony club mounts, but I've always missed the big horses and will always have a soft spot for them.
  • View author's info Posted on Jan 16, 2008 at 05:59 PM

Belgiandraft write:
    Hi, Is there any draft horse lovers out there? I own 25 belgian drafts and would like to share with other draft owners.

Re:
    Hello! Since you must know so much about Belgians I have lots of questions! LOL! I just purchased 2 months ago a 5 year old Belgian/QH mare! She is gorgeous but very dominant which is very different from what I have read about these horses! She has no patience whatsoever! If I take to long to get her bridle ready to put on she starts pulling on the cross ties like let me out of here! Also, I just started to ride her and I trotted her for about 5 mins and then she's like "ok I'm done, get off me now" and starts to buck (not to much but does start to pin her ears back and rearing) I am working on the natural horsemanship and she has gotten a lot better but my question is have you had experience like this with a Belgian?

Thank you in advance!
  • View author's info Posted on Dec 04, 2007 at 10:41 AM

My family currently has 15 registered Percheron horses. We use them for shows and breeding. Its so nice to find others on this site that are also interetsed in draft horses!
  • View author's info Posted on Oct 10, 2007 at 09:17 PM

do you have a picture of the halflinger/paso cross? I've worked with a lot of paso finos and halflingers, just curious what that cross would look like and behave like.
  • View author's info Posted on Sep 02, 2007 at 06:30 PM

Draft horses are my passion! I'm excited to see a topic on here for draft lovers. I'm partial to shires and clydes but i DO love those perchies too! and we can't forget the belgians! One day i'll own one of each draft of the world. That'd be amazing!
  • View author's info Posted on Jun 20, 2006 at 08:33 PM

I have 7 Percherons, 3 Clydesdales, 1 Shire, 2 Belgians, a Haflinger/Paso Fino cross, 10 other "light" horses and a spotted mule...
    I have owned a carriage/hay wagon business for 6.5 years and are just getting ready to put a team together.
    I have shown them and trail drive and ride, I am smitten, they are my passion...oh, did I say they were all rescues? WEll, they are!

Members Only

• View author's info Posted on Apr 05, 2006 at 06:14 AM

I currently own 4 horses, only 1 is a Draft. He is a Clydesdale gelding 9 years old, 17.3h. I have had him since he was 2. I have shown him at the fairs in the draft horse shows, Bareback and under saddle class. Drafts are sweet, and very smart.
    I did not break him to drive.
    I would like to ride him in dressage.
  • View author's info Posted on Mar 10, 2006 at 08:07 PM

I have two 18hand+ three year old belgians i just broke them to drive there birthdays are a day apart i cant wait to team drive them . 25 belgians my lord 2 are enough for me.I need a women to ride and drive my life away.I also want to sell my house and move to TENNENESEE and farm with them.
  • View author's info Posted on Jan 13, 2006 at 12:34 PM

Hi. I live in Delaware and have just purchased my first Belgian colt. He is totally gorgeous, though he is just 4 months old. He lives 3 houses down from me in the country and has to live with Mom (I guess) for a couple of more months. Gee it's GREAT to maybe be able to pick someones brain about Belgians. I am a standardbred person, as a rule, but fell so in love with this little guy, that I HAD to have him
  • View author's info Posted on Jan 10, 2006 at 01:36 AM

oh! I LOVE draft horses!

Well i own Thoroughbreds, but i'd love to own a draft on day!