What does your horse eat? My favorite horse !

• View author's info Author Posted on Apr 22, 2007 at 02:46 PM

what do u think about oats,im heard that's not good for horse. What do u think about it?
  • 3Comments

• View author's info Posted on Sep 11, 2009 at 09:55 AM

I am going to assume when you ask about oats, it is because you are considering feeding it to your horse(s). I'm no expert but have learned a lot about horse nutrition from my own experiences (I have never had a horse colic or founder) what others have taught me and watching what happens to horses improperly fed. To keep this short, there are so many excellent horse feeds on the market, made to provide all the nutrients/protein (combined with high quality horse hay) a horse needs, why are you wondering about oats? Oats are very high in protein. High protein = High energy WHOLE oats are hard to digest, thus race horses adopted off the track often have residual stomach problems from so much whole oats. A horse heavily involved in strenuous competition (horse racing, endurance competition, three day eventing, etc.) MAY need more than the 10% - 12% recommended for the average horse with moderate exercise, maybe shown on weekends, but often not.
  • View author's info Posted on Aug 20, 2007 at 12:06 PM

Megan9678 write:
    horses can't digest whole oats only roled or craked oats they also don't give the horse many nutrients. and the rest depends on the type of horse that you are feeding.

i had a 31 year old hyper thoroughbred and he was fed 2kg of purina show chow, 60g of horse plus to keep him clam, 60g of salt to keep him drinking, 4cups of equlizer, and flax for his immune system.

what kind of horse are you feeding???

Re:

not true, horses can and do digest whole oats. If the outer layer is cracked the better it will be digested, but since they have quite a bit in thier mouths, not all will get chewed and will pass thru their system. Also, cracke dor rolled oats, deteriorate(sp) quickly after bieng rolled or cracked.
    Oats have plenty of beneficial qualities to them, protein(digestable, starch and quite a bit of fat.

what does your horse need in his diet??
  • View author's info Posted on May 16, 2007 at 10:28 AM

horses can't digest whole oats only roled or craked oats they also don't give the horse many nutrients. and the rest depends on the type of horse that you are feeding.

i had a 31 year old hyper thoroughbred and he was fed 2kg of purina show chow, 60g of horse plus to keep him clam, 60g of salt to keep him drinking, 4cups of equlizer, and flax for his immune system.

what kind of horse are you feeding???